Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Lucy who isn't a Lucy


 The name of your blog is " I love Lucy".  I have several in my life and you, my love, are the newest.  I am so excited to meet you and hold you in my arms and to share all kinds of delicious secrets about your new family.


One of my favorite Lucys is my mother and your great grandmother.  Her name is Janet Carden Watson.  Are you wondering why I said she was a Lucy?  That is because my mom's middle name was Lucille.  Her sisters had two friends they liked and convinced their mom to name their baby sister after their friend Lucille.   My mom told me later she never liked that girl and so she never liked her middle name.  My dad knew that your great grandmother didn't like the name Lucille so occasionally he would start singing, "Come away with me Lucille in my merry Oldsmobile!"  My mom would get so mad at him and walk away.  Later when I was a teenager a popular Country and Western singer named Kenny Rogers would sing, "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille."  My dad would also sing this song to my mother and make her mad again.  

Your daddy is named after my dad.  Your great grandfather was Lt. Col. Wallace Reid Watson and I named your daddy Andrew Wallace Bennetch.  So you and your dad share a little bit of Diva's history.


  Your great grandmother is currently living in Alabama with my sister.  She is 90 years old and is the last living member of her family.  Your great grandmother was very fashionable and very good looking.  She met my Dad on a blind date and he held her hand and said, "I have finally met the woman who will one day wear my ring".  She thought he was crazy but a year later they were married. 



 My mom was a great cook, a wonderful hostess, loved her family, and wrote her mother a long letter every week.
Great Grandmother loves going to church and is currently the oldest member of her Baptist church in Union Springs, Alabama.  She is legally blind but uses a big projector to read her Bible every day and to study her Sunday School lesson.  She asks about you and your sister often and prays for you.

Lucy, you will probably never have the chance to meet your great grandmother but I hope you will have her kindness and love of family. She loves roses and had a big rose garden.  She was generous and very gracious.  She also had a temper and likes her independence.  She lives in her own cabin down the road from your great aunt Bobbie.

I think great grandmother looks like Queen Elizabeth of England. I like to call her "Queenie"  just to make her mad...(I guess Diva is more like your great grandfather.) She still gets her hair done every Friday at the beauty salon.  She says she doesn't like dogs but she pats my sister's 3 dogs and always talks to them. 



I love you very much my little Lucy.  I can hardly wait to watch you grow and see what special gifts God has given you.  Know that Diva and Poppa love you with our whole heart and pray for you every day. 

Your Diva and Poppa

1 comment:

  1. I love this!! What a treasure for your grand daughter.....your Lucy!!!

    ReplyDelete