Monday, May 15, 2017

The Lucy that first stole my heart




Dearest Darling Lucy Mae,

The very first Lucy who stole my heart away had 4 feet, a long tail, and was crazy about Poppa.  I named her Lucy Lou, and she is a tabby cat and littermate to JJ kitty.  Poppa and I lived in an old farmhouse in a little town called New Hope, Virginia.  During the winter field mice would come into the basement and into the house.  Diva does not like mice or spiders living in my house and it is Poppa's job to get rid of them.



It was early December and I begged Poppa to get a kitten to help get rid of the field mice and because I like cats.  One morning Poppa surprised me and took me on a ride to see some kittens that needed a good home.  There were 3 kittens, 2 ginger male kittens, and a little grey and brown female tabby cat.  The owners told your Poppa that "Buster" (JJ's original name) had already caught his first mouse so your Poppa said,  "That's the cat I want."  When your Daddy was a little boy he loved an orange ginger kitten that he named "G.I. Joe"  which later got shortened to  Joey.  JJ got his name because Diva remembered the first Joey so I decided to name this kitten "Joey Junior" or JJ for short.

Sure enough, JJ started catching mice but the frisky kitten needed a playmate.  Our dog Spot was much older and didn't know what to think of this playful cat.  Diva was really missing the cute little grey and brown female tabby that she fell in love with and quickly talked Poppa into going back and taking her home too.  Your Poppa wasn't too happy about having two kittens but he loves Diva so we brought my darling Lucy Lou home also.

Kittens are so playful and we spent a lot of time watching them and playing with them.  Lucy took an immediate liking to Poppa.  She wanted to be wherever he was.  She liked me a little but her heart belonged to Poppa.  She would let me pet her for a little while but then walk away as if to say, "That's enough!"

At Christmas time, we put up our tree.  Poppa had to anchor it on the wall as the kittens would climb it and go to sleep in the branches.  It was cute to see some little eyes watching as you walked by the tree.  We bought name tags, collars, and bells for the kittens as they liked to hide behind the furniture and we were afraid they would get stuck.

Lucy finally learned to love me while Poppa was on a mission trip and there was just Diva at home to feed her and brush her.  Lucy still enjoys attention but only on her schedule (usually in the morning after breakfast).  JJ thinks he a dog so he is always underfoot and curious about whatever is going on.  He likes to cuddle and loves attention.

My Lucy Kitty is soft and gentle.  She likes attention but only on her terms.  She loves to sit in the sun and watch the birds at the birdfeeder. Poppa calls it "Cat TV".  I hope you will always be soft and gentle to those around you and I hope you have a curious nature to explore and see the world around you.  Lucy likes to seek out spots that are pretty and likes to be petted and praised for her beauty. 

You are already a beauty, and everyone will like you and praise you...but look for the inner beauty of others that surround you.  Lucy Lou is normally a happy cat and brings happiness to those around her.  I pray that you will also bring happiness to those who are lucky enough to know you.

I hope you get the opportunity to meet my Lucy Lou, the gentle brown and grey tabby cat.   I love you and pray for you every day.

Your Diva

1 comment:

  1. Awww!! One day she is going to just Love reading this and understanding her Diva better. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete